Robert S. Lowrey
- Birth: 06/09/1934
Georgia Agricultural Hall of Fame
From 1964 until this retirement in 1999, Dr. Lowrey conducted research and taught for the University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences.
At the Coastal Plain Experiment Station in Tifton, Dr. Lowrey conducted research on beef cattle nutrition. He and Dr. Glenn Burton comprised a research team that screened and released hybrid bermudagrasses.
In 1970, he transferred to the Athens campus and began teaching students; teaching was revealed to be his true talent. Dr. Lowrey was named Outstanding Faculty Member of the Year in Animal and Dairy Science many times, received the D.W. Brooks Award for Excellence in Teaching, the Josiah Meigs Teaching Award, the Golden Key Honor Society Outstanding Teacher Award, the National Teaching Award from the American Society of Animal Science and the UGA Agricultural Alumni Association Outstanding Teacher Award.
His civic duties including serving as director of the Clarke County Farm Bureau, member of the Clarke County Agricultural Round Table, a member of both the Clarke-Oconee and Georgia Cattlemen's Association and a member of the Clarke County Board of Tax Equalization.
Since his retirement, Lowrey has continued to serve the College as a volunteer for the CAES Alumni Association.