Bomb or Bomb Threat
A device present in the building or on the premises which may or may not have exploded.
Steps of Action:
- Call 911. Work cooperatively with law enforcement agency responding to the call.
- Obtain as many details as possible if a bomb threat is made. Record identifying information.
- Evacuate the building and move to a safe area.
- Have staff look for unusual or suspicious noises, devices or disturbances while searching and evacuating the building. Report suspicious items to the bomb squad.
- Protect face and head with arms, books, coats, etc. from flying debris.
- Leave doors open; do not use light switches. If lights are on, leave them on. If they are off, leave them off.
- Do not use walkie talkies, cellular phones, other electronic devices.
Bomb Threat Call Checklist:
Try to keep the caller on the line and ask the following questions:
- When is the bomb going to explode?
- Where did you place the bomb?
- What does the bomb look like?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- What will cause the bomb to explode?
- Did you place the bomb?
- What is your name?
- What is your address?
- IMPORTANT! Hit *57 immediately after the caller disconnects. This will trap the number and enable law enforcement to obtain the caller's location.
Collect Identifying Information:
- Sex of the caller
- Accent (if detectable)
- Time of call
- Did voice sound like an adult? A child?
- Record as many of the caller's exact words as possible.