Hazardous Materials Incident
Hazardous materials incidents involve fire/explosions, chemical spills, chemical leaks or releases from a fume hood.
Steps of Action:
- Call 911, if emergency. Call Assistant Dean's Office at 386-3338. Call Facilities Management and Operations at 386-3337 (If after hours, call (229) 445-0386 or (229) 445-0110. USDA-ARS employees should contact Tom Hendricks, Location Safety Officer at 387-2392.
- Evacuate the building.
- Provide MSDS (Material Safety Distribution Sheets) or similar information.
- Provide first aid kits, if necessary.
- Contain spill where appropriate.
- Act as liaison with emergency organizations.
- Coordinate communication within departments.
- Assist in traffic control into and out of affected areas.
Name of material spilled
Amount of material
Injuries or damage
- CAES Policies and Recommended Handling Procedures for Pesticides and Fertilizers
- UGA Environmental Safety Division, (706) 542-5801