Milestones and Events
The first 50 years
1918: The Coastal Plain Experiment Station (CPES) – now UGA Tifton – was established in Tifton by an act of the Georgia General Assembly.
1922: The first office building – the H.H. Tift Building – was built for $17,120.
Dr. Glenn Burton (pictured), Dr. Paul M. Gilmer and Mr. P.A. Glick joined the staff.
1937: The Animal Science Building (far left) was built with a $50,000 grant from the Public Works Administration.
1944: Over 35 scientists conducted research on over 5,000 acres. Departments included: Agronomy, Animal Husbandry, Animal Diseases, Ag Engineering, Entomology, Horticulture, Plant Pathology, Nematology and Soils.
Peanut harvesting combine was developed by Mr. James Shepherd. This same year, peanuts became the #1 cash crop in south Georgia.
1952: Branch stations increased in importance. We see the first mention (in the 1952 Annual Report) of branch stations in Reidsville, Plains and Alapaha.
1955: The original Administration Building was built for $290,000.
93% of the state's sweet potato crop planted with two station-bred varieties: GA Red and Earlysweet.
Diagnostic services for animal diseases attracted statewide support and gave the station recognition in livestock circles.
The second 50 years
1970: Construction began on the Rural Development Center.
The swine center was responsible for boar production becoming more efficient. Compared to the mid-1920's, pigs were reaching ideal market weight at half the time.
The first annual Georgia Peanut Tour visited campus.
1987: For the first time, the CPES was represented at the Sunbelt Agricultural Exposition in Moultrie, Ga.
Dr. Gloria McCutcheon was the first African-American female to receive a Ph.D. in Entomology in the United States. Dr. Jim Todd served as her major professor.
1992: The CPES campus continued to expand with the National Environmentally Sound Production Agriculture Laboratory (NESPAL) and the Vidalia Onion Research Facility.
The first undergraduate students began classes at UGA Tifton.
2004: The UGA Tifton Campus graduated its first four students.
The Cotton MicroGin was built. It was the only one in the U.S. designed to assess effects of growing techniques, environmental conditions, pest pressures and ginning on fiber quality.
The Future Farmstead Project – UGA's Water, Energy and People Efficient model home – was begun.
2010: TifSport, developed by Wayne Hanna in 1997, was used for World Cup soccer games in South Africa.
Plant DNA sequencing is being conducted by the Ozias-Akins Laboratory.