Tifton campus folks celebrated their own May 20, 2015 at the annual University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Tifton Campus Awards Ceremony.
Awards and Recognitions presented for FY2015
(Beginning July 1, 2014 — Ending June 30, 2015)
- Awards for Excellence
- Certificates of Service
- Recent Retirees
- Student Accomplishments
- Special Achievements
Friend of the UGA Tifton Campus Award
Steve Brown received the 2015 Friend of the UGA Tifton Campus Award.
Recipients of the 2015 Tifton Campus Awards for Excellence pictured with Assistant Dean Joe West (far right).
|Senior Scientist - Research||Albert Culbreath|
|Senior Scientist - Extension||Bob Kemerait|
|Junior Scientist - Research||Karen Harris-Shultz|
|Technical Support||Mike Heath|
|Service Unit Support||David Adcock|
|Administrative Support||Ann Wiggins|
|Student Employee||Jesse Boland|
2015 UGA Tifton graduates
- Luke Clark - Agribusiness
- Nicholas Beaver - Agricultural Education
- Christina Dills, summa cum laude - Agricultural Education
- Hannah Homansky Getz - Agricultural Education
- Matthew Mayhue - Agricultural Education
- Amanda Miller, magna cum laude - Agricultural Education
- Ben Pope - Agricultural Education
- Caitlin Mahoney - Biological Science
- Holly Anderson - MPPPM
- Jenna Kicklighter - MPPPM
- Brittany Saylor - MPPPM
- Ty Torrance - MPPPM
Fall 2014 Graduates
- Michasia Harris, magna cum laude - Agriscience and Environmental Systems
- Jonathon Searcy - Agriscience and Environmental Systems
- Rebecca Shirley - Agriscience and Environmental Systems
- James Crosby, magna cum laude - Biological Science
- Sarah Cook - MAL
- Brett Toney - MPPPM
- Sydni Barwick - Georgia Crop Production Alliance - $1000
35 Years of Service
- Craig Kvien - NESPAL
30 Years of Service
- Michael Heath - Plant Pathology
- Billy Mills - Attapulgus Research and Education Center
- Sephus Willis - Field Research Services
25 Years of Service
- David Adcock - Physical Plant
- Mike Crumley - Horticulture
- Albert Culbreath - Plant Pathology
- Stan Jones - Southwest Research and Education Center
- Harvey Kendrick - Field Research Services
- Willis Marchant - Animal and Dairy Sciences
- J. Michael Moore - Crop and Soil Sciences
- Calvin Perry - Stripling Research Park
- George Vellidis - Crop and Soil Sciences
20 Years of Service
- Anton Coy - Crop and Soil Sciences
- William Darley - Attapulgus Research and Education Center
- Evelyn Folds - NESPAL
- Glen Harris - Crop and Soil Sciences
- Robert Marchant - Physical Plant
- Glenn Sizemore - Physical Plant
- Cindy Tucker - Office of Information Technology
15 Years of Service
- John Bernard - Animal and Dairy Sciences
- Jason Brock - Plant Pathology
- Amy Carter - Physical Plant
- Patrick Conner - Horticulture
- Juan Carlos Diaz Perez - Horticulture
- Timothy Grey - Crop and Soil Sciences
- Teri Hughes - Assistant Dean's Office
- Gary Murphy - Crop and Soil Sciences
- John Paulk - Crop and Soil Sciences
- Glen Rains - Entomology
- Lenny Wells - Horticulture
10 Years of Service
- Ye Chu (Juliet) - NESPAL
- Michael Foster - Crop and Soil Sciences
- Herman Henry - Crop and Soil Sciences
- Jennifer McCurdy - Crop and Soil Sciences/NESPAL
- Jason Peake - Ag Leadership, Education and Communication
Charles Walter Burgess - Crop Protection and Management, USDA ARS
Carey Cobb - Southeast Research and Education Center
T. Dudley Cook - Crop and Soil Sciences
Anton Coy - Crop and Soil Sciences
Ricky Fletcher - Southeast Watershed Research Laboratory, USDA ARS
Robert W. Giddens - Crop Protection and Management, USDA ARS
Leila Hargett - Southeast Watershed Research Laboratory, USDA ARS
Herman Henry - Crop and Soil Sciences/Engineering
Tom Maze - Administrative Office, USDA ARS
Gary S. Murphy - Crop and Soil Sciences/Engineering
Ed Troxell - Field Research Services
Bailey Award for Outstanding Research Paper
Awarded to Rajagopalbabu Srinivasan, Scott Tubbs, Bob Kemerait, and Albert Culbreath at the American Peanut Research Education Society Annual Meeting, 2014.
The Distinguished Research Award
Granted from the Peanut Genomics Consortium for the International Peanut Genome Initiative. The citation on the award is: "For developing, maintaining and characterizing genetically structured populations to establish links between gene sequences and key traits in cultivated peanut." Recipients are: Corley Holbrook (ARS-Tifton), Charls Chen (Auburn University, previously ARS), Peggy Ozias-Akins (UGA), Mark Burow (TAMU), Baozhu Guo (ARS-Tifton), Noelle Barkely (ARS-Griffin), and Albert Culbreath (UGA). Those that were recognized but were not there: Tom Isleib (NCSU), Barry Tillman (Univ. of Florida), Tim Brenneman (UGA) and Ye (Juliet) Chu (UGA).
2015 Outstanding Education Grand Award
Awarded to The South Georgia Native Plant and Wildflower Symposium, a project of the Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. and the University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Tifton. This was awarded by the Georgia Urban Forest Council recognizing individuals and organizations for outstanding work in protecting and enhancing our community forests.
Crop and Soil Sciences Department
Timothy Grey - 2015 Young Cotton Physiologist of the Year. Agronomy and Physiology Conference, Beltwide Cotton Conferences.
Brian Schwartz - Named "Top 10 under 40" in the May/June Tifton Scene Magazine
Graduate Student Accomplishments:
Daryl Chastain (Ph.D. degree student with Timothy Grey)
- 1st Place - Cotton Agronomy and Physiology Conference PhD Student Poster Competition. Beltwide Cotton Conferences in New Orleans, LA.
- 1st Place - Crop Physiology and Metabolism Graduate Student Poster Competition. Crop Science Society of America annual meeting in Long Beach, CA.
- 2nd Place - Cotton Agronomy and Physiology Conference PhD Student Poster Competition. Beltwide Cotton Conferences in San Antonio, TX.
- 3rd Place - Cotton Agronomy and Physiology Conference Graduate Student Oral Competition. Beltwide Cotton Conferences in San Antonio, TX.
Seth Byrd (Ph.D. degree student with Wes Porter)
- 1st Place - Graduate Student Paper Competition, in the Cotton Agronomy and Physiology Conference. Beltwide Cotton Conferences.
- 3rd Place - Student Poster Competition, in the Cotton Agronomy and Physiology Conference. Beltwide Cotton Conferences.
- 2nd Place - PhD Student Paper Competition. Southern Weed Science Society Annual Meeting.
James Dutcher - Received the 2015 Georgia Entomological Society Founder's Award, April 2015.
David Riley - Elected as 2015 President-Elect of the Southeastern Branch of the Entomological Society of America.
Michael Toews - Received the Oliver I. Snapp Award in recognition of the best research paper by a regular member during the 2015 Annual Meeting of the Georgia Entomological Society. 2015 recipient of the Award for Excellence in Integrated Pest Management, awarded by the Southeastern Branch of the Entomological Society of America.
Mark Abney - The International IPM Award for Recognition was awarded to StopBMSB Program, March 2015, in recognition of its sustaining coordinated efforts and multiplying expertise to control the brown marmorated stink bug.
Graduate Student Accomplishments:
Ian Knight (Ph.D. degree student with Michael Toews) - Received a $3000 cash award by the UGA Graduate School in fall 2014 to enhance recruitment of outstanding graduate students.
Joni Blount (visiting Ph.D. degree student with Michael Toews) - Received the Beckham Award for best Ph.D. paper at the 2015 Annual Meeting of the Georgia Entomological Society.
Anita Shrestha - (Ph.D. degree student with Rajagopalbabu Srinivasan) -Received a thrips and tospovirus education network award through a USDA funded grant 2015.
Pin-Chu Lai (MS degree student with Rajagopalbabu Srinivasan) - Received second place in student paper competition at Georgia Entomological Society Annual Meeting, 2015.
Peggy Ozias-Akins - Received the UGA Creative Research Medal in April.
Office of Communications and Creative Services
Clint Thompson - Received the Mass Media Award presented at the Georgia Association of County Agricultural Agents meeting in Statesboro in November, 2014, in recognition of the extensive media presence that Clint has developed in his time with UGA Tifton.
Plant Pathology Department
Tim Brenneman - President of the American Peanut Research and Education Society. Outstanding Alumnus, Virginia Tech College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
Albert Culbreath - Council for Agricultural Science and Technology, Certificate of Excellence-Educational Materials Award (with three other authors). In recognition of efforts in the CAST paper, "The Contributions of Pesticides to Pest Management in Meeting the Global Need for Food Production by 2050." Invited plenary speaker at the 2014 Student Organic Seed Symposium, Cornell University.
Stripling Irrigation Research Park
B.J. Washington (Ag Specialist at Stripling Park) - received his Associate of Arts Degree in Ag Education from Bainbridge State College.
USDA ARS - Crop Protection and Management Research Unit
Wiley C. Johnson, III - 2015 Fellow Award – Weed Science Society of America
Baozhu Guo - 2014 Peanut Research and Education Award presented in June 2014.
USDA ARS - Southeast Watershed Research Laboratory
Superior Paper Award from the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE) presented to authors: Dinku M. Endale, David D. Bosch, Thomas L. Potter, Timothy C. Strickland. The ASABE Superior Paper Awards are selected annually from papers of engineering merit published during the prior calendar year in ASABE publications of Applied Engineering in Agriculture, Transactions of the ASABE, Journal of Agricultural Safety and Health or Biological Engineering Transactions.