Drought Management for Forage/Livestock Producers
June 20, 2011 | 6 p.m. | Tifton Campus Conference Center Rm 6-7 | Tifton, Georgia
This meeting presented the current drought status and provided the projections for improvement during the next few months. Basic management tactics and strategies for forage/livestock producers were presented to help them deal with the short and long-term consequences of the drought.
Handouts from the Program
Below are pdfs of the presented at the meeting. You can print off these handouts for your reference.
- Weather Situation and Outlook – Dr. David Stooksbury, State Climatologist (UGA)
- Monitoring the ARID Tool – Dr. Clyde Fraisse, UF Climatologist
- Economic & Marketing Considerations - Dr. Curt Lacy, Extension Livestock Economist
- Tax Implications of Weather Forced Sales - Keith Kightlinger, Extension Economist
- Forage Management Strategies – Dr. Dennis Hancock, Extension Forage Specialist
Feeding & Management Strategies – Dr. Lawton Stewart, Extension Animal Scientist
View the Webinar Archive
Since we were using the "Freeware" version of the GoToWebinar software, the archiving of this webinar has required a "backdoor" approach. Bare with our attempts to keep costs low. We'll step you through this.
First, you will need to play this using the PC platform. The archive video will not play on a Mac, even with the WMV components for QuickTime Player.
Step 1) Ensure that you have Windows Media Player 10 or newer installed. If you don't have it, click here to download and install it.
Step 2) Download and install the G2M2 Codec for playing GoToMeeting videos in Windows Media Player by clicking here and following the installation instructions.
Step 3) Download or open the archived video of the meeting (filename: 2011-06-20 18.00 Drought Management for Forage_Livestock Producers.wmv).
Unfortunately, because of the G2M2 codec encryption, we cannot edit or trim this file. However, if you'd like to skip to a certain segment of the program, here are the approximate beginning times for each of the segments of the program:
- Weather Situation and Outlook – Starts at 5 min. 15 sec. into the program
- Monitoring the ARID Tool – Starts at 26 min. 15 sec.
- Economic & Marketing Considerations - Starts at 53 min. 50 sec.
- Tax Implications of Weather Forced Sales - Starts at 1 hr. 23 min. 20 sec.
- Forage Management Strategies – Starts at 1 hr. 50 min.
Feeding & Management Strategies – Starts at 2 hr. 26 min.
More Information on Drought Management
More drought management information is available here.