John William Firor, Sr. Scholarship
Professor John William Firor's far-reaching work improved Georgia farming as he trained students to carry out his teachings. His leadership essentially developed the Department of Agricultural Economics at the University of Georgia. In the 1920's, he organized and chaired the Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology at what was then known as the Georgia State College of Agriculture. When the Georgia State College of Agriculture became a part of the University of Georgia system in 1931, Professor Firor continued as Department Head of Agricultural Economics until his retirement in 1951. He was a gifted teacher who taught his students how to think, analyze problems and to care for Georgia agriculture. When he died in 1956, he was remembered as an innovator in Georgia agriculture and a man who was a friend to both the farmer and the student.
Hall of Fame Inductee
John William Firor, Sr. was inducted into the University of Georgia, Agricultural Alumni Association Agricultural Hall of Fame at the Association's annual banquet on September 24, 1999. He was recognized for outstanding teaching and imaginative leadership in developing what is now known as the Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics at the University of Georgia.