James C. Anderson, II
- Doctor of Philosophy: Agricultural Education, College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO. Concentration: Teacher Education (2007)
- Master of Arts: Economics and Entrepreneurship for Educators, Lerner School of Business, University of Delaware, Newark, DE. Concentration: Curriculum Development (2003)
- Bachelor of Science: Agricultural & Environmental Communications and Education, College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL. Certification: Secondary Education (2000)
Dr. Anderson’s research focuses on leadership for social justice. Dr. Anderson is primarily concerned with the investigation and evaluation of educational/training programs and/or interventions that build human capacity, especially among underrepresented, underserved, and marginalized groups. Current research topics include:
Adolescent and Young Adult Development
- Inclusive practices that impact student engagement and academic success;
- Student advising protocols;
- Strategies for increasing global engagement among domestic students; and
- Recruitment and retention of underrepresented populations into higher education.
- Adult and Continuing Education
- Effective instructional strategies for adult learners;
- Educational access through online course development and delivery;
- Mentoring across differences;
- Effective management of group dynamics in the context of cognitive diversity; and
- Capacity building in developing countries.
- Clifton StrengthsFinder Educator
- Kirton’s Adaption-Innovation Practitioner
- Mastery of Online Teaching
- PREPARE/ENRICH Relationship Counseling Practitioner
Awards and Recognitions
- 2016 Distinguished Research Poster, ALE National Conference
- 2011 Outstanding Innovative Idea Poster - 1st Runner-up, NC-AAAE Regional Conference
- 2010 Distinguished Paper, NC-AAAE Regional Conference
- 2008 Alan A. Kahler Outstanding Research Award
- 2007 Outstanding Oral Research - 1st Place in Social Sciences, MANRRS National Conference
- 2006 Outstanding Research Poster - 1st Runner-Up, NC-AAAE Regional Conference
- 2005 Suave Performance Award for Outstanding Teaching
- 2004 Education-To-Careers Exemplary Teacher Award
Friedel, C., & Anderson, J. C. (2017). An exploration of relationships between teaching practices in secondary education programs and student engagement. Journal of Agricultural Education, 58(2), 180-197. doi: 10.5032/jae.2017.02180
Anderson, J. C., Thorson, C., & Kelinsky, L. (2016). An appreciative inquiry approach to evaluating culture, structure, and power in Agricultural teacher education program reform. Journal of Agricultural Education, 57 (1), 179-193. doi: 10.5032/jae.2016.01179
Bass, R., Morton, S., & Anderson, J. C. (2016). Increasing youth involvement in agriculture, food, and natural resources through extension support in formal education. NACTA Journal 60, 132.
Friedel, C., Clegorne, N., Kaufman, E., Seibel, M., & Anderson, J. C. (2016). Connecting leadership with preferences towards adaption and innovation. Journal of Leadership Studies 10 (1), 37-39. doi: 10.1002/jls.21437.
Kelinsky, L. & Anderson, J. C. (2016). Women’s leadership development training for [Program]. Journal of Leadership Education, 15(1), 161-170. doi: 1012806/V15/I1/A7.
Purnell, R., & Anderson, J. C. (2016). Internal and external values ascribed to college major choice by students of color in agricultural and life sciences. NACTA Journal 60, 78.
Cletzer, D. A., Anderson, J. C., & Silas, M. A. (2015). Using the flipped classroom to develop 21st Century employability skills: Merits, limitations, and strategies. NACTA Journal 59, 78.
Anderson, J. C. (2013). An exploration of the motivational profile of secondary urban agriculture students. Journal of Agricultural Education, 54(2), 205-216. doi: 10.5032/jae.2013.02205.
Rosch, D. M., Anderson, J. C., & Jordan, S. (2012). Analyzing the effectiveness of multi-source feedback as a leadership development tool for college students. Journal of Leadership Studies, 6(3), 33-46. doi: 10.1002/jls.21254.
Vincent, S., Henry, A., & Anderson, J. C. (2012). College major choice for students of color: Toward a model of recruitment for the agricultural education profession. Journal of Agricultural Education, 53(4), 187 - 200. doi: 10.5032/jae.2012.04187.
Recent Grant Activity
Kaufman, E. K., & Anderson, J. C. Professional Development Delivery Model for Department of Defense Education Activity Leadership (DoDEA) Department of Defense Schools. National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA), USDA. Sept. 1, 2017 – Aug. 31, 2018. $910,000.
Anderson, J. C. Study Tour: Comparative Analysis of Agriculture in Morocco. Enrollment and Degree Management Mini/Micro Summer Grant, Virginia Tech. May 14, 2017 – June 3, 2017. $11,000.
Patrizio, K. M., Glenn, W. J., Kaufman, E. K., & Anderson, J. C. Professional Development Delivery Model for Department of Defense Education Activity Leadership (DoDEA) Department of Defense Schools. National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA), USDA. Sept. 1, 2016 – Aug. 31, 2017. $1,212,275
Anderson, J. C. Graduate Student Recruitment Grant. College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Virginia Tech. Nov. 1, 2012 - June 15, 2017. $23,000.
Anderson, J. C. Designing Research Applications in ALCE as an Interactive Mobile Learning (m-Learning) Course. Technology-Enhanced Learning and Online Strategies (TLOS) Online Course Development Grant. Virginia Tech. July 1, 2015 - June. 30, 2016. $11,000.
Anderson, J. C. Program Improvement and Enhancement of Agricultural Teacher Education. Illinois State Board of Education Incentive Funding for Agricultural Teacher Education. Oct. 1, 2010 - June 30, 2012. $11,450.
Oswald, R. & Anderson, J. C. UIUC Graduate Programs Competitive Block Grant for Student Recruitment. Graduate College. August 16, 2011 – May 15, 2016. $95,000.
Anderson, J. C. Growing Agricultural Science Teacher Grant. Illinois State Board of Education. February 1, 2009 - Dec. 31, 2011. $120,000.
Anderson, J. C. Karl E. Gardner Enhancement Endowment. Office of Academic Programs - College of Agriculture Consumer and Environmental Sciences, University of Illinois. November 1, 2008 - June 1, 2011. $6,700.
Flournoy, C. D. & Anderson, J. C. Program Improvement and Enhancement of Agricultural Teacher Education. Illinois State Board of Education Incentive Funding for Agricultural Teacher Education. July 1, 2007 - June 30, 2010. $43,290.