The mission of Georgia 4-H is to assist youth in acquiring knowledge, developing life skills, and forming attitudes that will enable them to become self-directing, productive and contributing members of society. This mission is accomplished through "hands-on" learning experiences, focused on agricultural and environmental issues, agriculture awareness, leadership, communication skills, foods and nutrition, health, energy conservation, and citizenship.
Signups for 4-H camp are ongoing; many camps have already reached full capacity. Check out each camp (listed below) for dates and registration forms.
Information on Adventure Day Camp is coming soon!
Cattlemen's Rodeo: Friday and Saturday, May 15 and 16
Fishing Rodeo: Saturday, May 16
Coweta Frogs (Middle School Club)
The Coweta Frogs is for 6th-8th graders interested in staying active in a variety of 4-H projects and service work. They meet every month during the school year on the first Tuesday, 7:00 pm, at the Coweta County Extension Office.
- Coweta Frogs will be winding up their year on Tuesday, May 5, 7:00 pm. We're planning some fun activities for our final meeting so check back for details!
Dairy Heifer Show Team
Horse and Pony Club
- The Horse and Pony Club meets at the Coweta County Extension Office on the first Thursday of every month at 7pm. Their next meeting will be May 7.
- K-9 Klub meets on the fourth Thursday of each month. This month their meeting will be held at the Coweta County Extension Office on April 23rd.
- The Livestock Club meets at the Coweta County Extension Office on the third Thursday of each month. The club will meet again on April 16th.
- The first Monday of each month is all about poultry! The club meets at the Coweta County Fairgrounds Ag Building on May 4 at 7:00 pm.
Sigma Lambda Chi (grades 9-12)
Sigma Lambda Chi is a club for high school students interested in service, leadership, and citizenship.
- The next meeting will be on Tuesday, May 5, 7pm at the Coweta County Fairgrounds Horse Arena Observatory.
The archery teams have formed and registration is closed until Fall, 2015. Please contact Jerry Thrasher if interested for the next season.
- Shotgun (Modified Trap)
- Teams are preparing for the upcoming district qualification match in Douglas County on April 18th. Good luck as they compete to win a spot in the State match.
- Target Challenge Weekend (Modified Trap) at Rock Eagle: May 8th
- BB Gun
Veterinary Science Student Organization (V.S.S.O.)
The Coweta County 4-H Veterinary Science Student Organization or VSSO for short, meets at 7:00 p.m. on the 2nd Thursday of each month at the Coweta County Extension Office. The club was created in 2008 to educate and equip students interested in the field of veterinary medicine and is open to youth grades 5-12. Students get the opportunity to learn hands on some of the skills a career in veterinary medicine requires.The curriculum is challenging, but fun. If you enjoy science, animals and working with others, this club might be for you. For more information, contact Pam Brinton at email@example.com.
- The next meeting for VSSO will be on Thursday, May 14, 7:00 pm at the Coweta Extension Office.
During the year, Junior (7th and 8th graders) and Senior (9th - 12th graders) 4-H'ers have the opportunity to attend district and state conferences. While attending, you will meet new friends from across Georgia, participate in community service projects, and attend exciting workshops. Registration and application information will be given out during 4-H club meetings or you can call the 4-H Office.
- Senior Conference: 9th-12th grade students
- April 11-12, 2015
- Rock Eagle 4-H Center
- Junior Rally: current 6th-8th grade students
- May 2-3 , 2015
- Camp Wahsega, Dahlonega
- State Council: rising 9th grade through 12th grade students
- June 26-28, 2015
- Rock Eagle 4-H Center
- Junior Conference: 7th & 8th grade students
- Over 600 adults, youth, and teens attended this year's conference. Numerous community service projects were completed including letters and cards for military service members, and 70 Christmas stockings for deployed military troops. Northwest District led with 14,000 pounds of pulltabs; Coweta placed third with 578 pounds.
- 2015 Junior Conference: November 14-15, 2015
- December Classic (Fall Forum) : 9th-12th grade students and 4-H adult volunteers
- December 12-13, 2015 at Rock Eagle 4-H Center
While Georgia 4-H offers many types of judging and quiz bowl events, the following represents a list of those currently ongoing in Coweta County. Members must be at least nine years old as of January 1st of the competition year, and have not reached their nineteenth year. See the
- State Dairy Judging Contest: March 27, 2015 in Athens
- Our Junior and Senior teams were relatively inexperienced this year, being the first for most members and only the 2nd for others. We're proud to announce that both teams placed 5th in the state with special recognition below.
- Congratulations to Senior Mady Hillebrand for placing High Individual in the contest! this accomplishment also achieves Master status and recognition at State Congress in July. Junior member standouts were Brent Bohannon with high Junior placings, Jennifer Brinton was high Junior reasons scorer, and Sarah Ullom as High Junior overall in our county.
- Many thanks go to Mrs. Pam Brinton as she continues her standard of excellence in coaching this team!
Dairy Quiz Bowl
- State contest will be held on April 18th in Athens. The competition is a double elimination Q&A quiz bowl format, answering questions related to the dairy science field.
Horse Judging and Hippology
- Held in Athens, the state contest for both events are held on May 2nd. In Horse Judging, contestants judge eight classes, four conformation and four performance classes. In addition, they give 2-4 sets of reasons to justify their placings and explain their decisions. In Hippology, students will demonstrate their knowledge of horses through a written test, skill station, judging, and a team problem component related to a specific issue of equine management.
Horse Quiz Bowl
- While the state contest is held in January, teams typically begin forming in early fall. Contact our office at (770) 254-2620 for times and location.
- Teams compete in a game-show type format in a double elimination tournament. Subject matter covers a variety of areas of equine materials including breeds, anatomy, husbandry, disciplines, and much more.
Students learn to identify parts of poultry ready for market, judge live specimens, and evaulate eggs for quality.
- Area Contest for Cloverleafs, Juniors, and Seniors: April 16 in McDonough
Each summer, 4-H'ers have the opportunity to attend residential camps at one of the five 4-H centers: Rock Eagle 4-H Camp; Wahsega 4-H Camp; Jekyll Island 4-H Center; Tybee Island 4-H Center/Burton 4-H Center; and Fortson 4-H Center. Information on the 2015 registration and costs are be posted as they become available.
- For students who are in 5th and 6th grades in the 2014-2015 school year
- For students who are in 7th and 8th grades in the 2014-2015 school year
- For students who are in 9th through 12th grades in the 2014-2015 school year
An alternative to residential camps , Coweta 4-H offers a day camp for ages 9 through 12 known as Adventure Camp. Campers will enjoy guest speakers, classes, crafts, outdoor activities and include an incredible field trip. More information will be available in coming months.
- 2015 Adventure Camp: July 13-17, 2015
- 2014-2015 4-H Enrollment Form: required for membership in every club, must be renewed each August.
- 4-H Code of Conduct
- The Code of Conduct must be renewed every August 1st and is valid for one year. It must be signed by both parent and 4-H'er. All current 4-H'ers must complete and sign the new version and return to the Extension Office.
- 4-H Medical Information and Release form
- The MIRF must also be renewed in August and held on file at the Extension Office. It must also accompany the 4-H'er on any event away from the office.
- Change of County 4-H Membership
- The Change of Membership form should be completed for any 4-H'er who does not live in or go to school in Coweta County. The form must be signed by agents in both the home and new county, then forwarded to a state review committee.
The Powers Crossroads property located at 4766 Highway 34 West in Newnan is now available for lease to organizations and individuals looking to host special events. Coweta County 4-H is proud to be a part of the rich history of the property that hosted the Powers Crossroads Arts & Crafts Festival for more than 40 years. As one of the five community organizations that own the property, Coweta 4-H is excited to see new events and activities coming to the grounds in the years to come. For more information on leasing opportunities, please click below for the lease agreement or call the Extension office at (770) 254-2620.
Click Here for the lease agreement.
For more information about Coweta County 4-H Youth Development Programs, contact Megan Bailey at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (770) 254-2620.
Visit the Georgia 4-H website at www.georgia4h.org.
Like our Coweta County 4-H UGA Extension page on Facebook!