Agriculture & Natural Resources
Master Gardener Extension Volunteer Program
The Master Gardener Program in Georgia is a volunteer training program designed to help Extension agents transfer research-based information about gardening and related subjects to the public by training home gardeners. Master Gardeners currently are active in many Georgia counties. Through this program, volunteers benefit from the classes and ongoing training and the opportunity to share knowledge with others in the community.
The Master Gardener Program in Henry Countyhas over 50 Master Gardeners and Master Gardener Interns assisting the Henry County Extension Office. Volunteers are committed to gardening and community improvements programs, plant clinics and horticulture projects. This program is sponsored by the University of Georgia Cooperative Extension.
Certification involves 24 classes, which begin in January of each year. Classes will be held in one of the following counties or could rotate in all of the 6 South Metro Master Gardener Program counties.(Clayton, Fayette, Henry, Newton, Rockdale, and Spalding Counties).
Course dates: January - March (each year)
Applications: Accepted between September 1- October 31 of each year.
The Master Gardener Program is designed to develop highly skilled volunteers that agree
to volunteer a minimum of 50 hours of service in exchange for 40 hours of horticultural
training by Cooperative Extension professionals. Typical volunteer activities include:
- Gardening Demonstrations
- Plant Clinics
- Phone and Site Consultations
- Newsletter Production
- Youth Gardening
- Community Gardening
- Information Booths at Fairs & Festivals
- Research & writing Projects
- Teach Adult Classes
- Newspaper or Magazine Articles
- Community Garden
See the 2014 approved project list.
2015 Club Officers
President Steve Mellott
1st Vice President Candy Rhinehart
2nd Vice President Judy Coker
Secretary Stephanie Fenton
Treasurer Melvin Ricks
Past President Sandy Adams
- January 2015 : February 2015 : March 2015 : April-May 2015 : June 2015
- January 2014 : February 2014 : March 2014 : April 2014 : May 2014 : June 2014
- September 2014 : November 2014
- Georgia Master Gardener
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Individual Summary Form
- Logbook Sheet
- Community Gardens of Henry County
- Introduction to Plant Pathogens
- Diseases of Vegetables, Turf and Ornamental plants
- Diseases on Vegetables and Ornamentals by: Alfredo Martinez
- Weed Control in the Landscape by Dr. Mark Czarnota
2014 Master Gardeners: Life Time Award Recipients
The Henry County Commissioners recognized Master Gardeners Sandy Adams and Carolyn Runion for ten years of Master Gardener service.
For more information about the Master Gardener program in your area, contact the Henry County Extension office at (770) 288-8421.