Agriculture & Natural Resources
Photo by John Pope
UGA Extension Monroe County offers information related to Agriculture and Natural Resources. Please visit our office for brochures and literature on home gardening, farming, landscaping, insect and pest control and more. For information on pest identification and control, please contact us at (478) 994-7014.
The Agricultural and Environmental Services Laboratories (AESL) at the University of Georgia Cooperative Extension announces its new capability to analyze Radon in Drinking Water. You may call this office at (478) 994-7014 for further details.
Farmers need to check your hayfields for the presence of Bermudagrass Stem Maggot. Read more about this pest.
Subscribe to Farmers & Consumers Market Bulletin,
SE Cattle Advisor Website
UGA, along with Auburn, Clemson and UF, received grant funding from the Southern Region Risk Management Education Center to develop a regional beef cattle risk management website. Their newsletter known as the "SE Cattle Advisor" is now available at the SE Cattle Advisor website.
- Weekly Rainfall Report
- Rainfall Report to Date
- 2014 Rainfall Report
- 2013 Rainfall Report
- 2012 Rainfall Report
- 2011 Rainfall Report
- 2010 Rainfall Report
- 2009 Rainfall Report
- 2008 Rainfall Report
- 2007 Rainfall Report
- 2006 Rainfall Report
- 2005 Rainfall Report
- 2004 Rainfall Report
- 2003 Rainfall Report
- 2002 Rainfall Report
- UGA Forage Newsletter and Georgia Forages Website
- Georgia Faces
- Bee Newsletter
- Pecan Growers Newsletter
- Homeowners Plant Disease Clinic Report
Soil Test (1 pint)
- S1 Soil Test. A routine soil sample will test for pH, lime requirements, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, zinc and manganese. The fee is $9.00 ($6.00 + $3.00 postage) per sample for one, two, or three samples. The postage fee remains at $2.00 for four or more samples submitted at same time by an individual client. It will take approximately 7-10 working days to process. Soil probes are available for loan to pull the sample. Call the office at (478) 994-7014 to request the use of a soil probe. There is a $50 deposit required for the use of the soil probe refundable if returned undamaged within 7 days.
Poultry Litter Sample
- This test is available for Georgia poultry producers. This test analyzes the litter for nutrient content including nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium. The UGA lab requires samples to be submitted in double zip-lock bags. A $2.00 postage fee is the only charge for this test for poultry producers. For buyers/handlers, there is a $42.00 lab fee plus $3.00 postage.
- Pond water samples can be tested at the Extension Office for water hardness to determine lime requirement and dissolved oxygen. This is a free test provided by the agent.
Water Test (8 ounces)
- W1. A basic water sample will test for pH and hardness, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, aluminum, chromium, manganese, copper, cadmium, iron, zinc, sodium, nickel. magnesium, boron, molybdenum and silica. To have your well water tested, you will need to take 8 ounces of water in a clean jar to the Extension office. The fee is $18.00 ($15.00 + $3.00 postage) per sample and will take approximately 7-10 working days.
Feed and Forage Analysis
- F1 Hay and Silage (NIR + nitrate + minerals) - $32.00 + $2.50 postage
- F2 Hay and Silage (NIR = nitrate) - $15.00 + $2.50 postage
- F3 Hay and Silage (NIR) - $12.00 + $2.50 postage
- F7 All Other Feeds - $35.00 + $2.50 postage
- F14 Nitrate only - $10.00 + $2.50 postage
- F18 Moisture only - $12.00 + $2.50 postage