Edward T. and Karen Kanemasu Global Engagement Award
The Edward T. and Karen Kanemasu Global Engagement Award recognizes their lifelong commitment to building human connections across global cultures while working to feed a rapidly growing population.
The award honors Dr. Kanemasu’s distinguished career as the former Assistant Dean of International Affairs and Director of Global Programs for the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences. It also honors Karen’s support and considerable contribution to these efforts.
Education with a Global Perspective
This award recognizes students who go above and beyond by globalizing their academic program at the University of Georgia.
Designed to support a full immersion experience, this award will go to a student taking on more than the typical study abroad program. Recipients must:
- Spend an extended period of time completing an internship or conducting research in a non-English speaking country
- Complete a service-learning project addressing critical issues related to the alleviation of hunger and poverty
- Deliver a presentation at the college’s International Agriculture Day reception
- Participate in related events that encourage other students to pursue opportunities in global engagement
First preference will be given to students enrolled in the undergraduate or graduate international agriculture certificate program.
Support International Education
A contribution to the Kanemasu Global Engagement Award will help financially support a future student’s participation in a life-changing opportunity abroad. Your gift will contribute to an endowment honoring Dr. Kanemasu’s work, which will provide permanent funding for this annual award.
All gifts are tax deductible according to IRS standards. For information regarding gift opportunities contact the CAES Office of Development and Alumni Relations at 706-542-3390 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate "Edward T. and Karen Kanemasu Global Engagement Award" when making a donation.
- Funding amount: $1000
- Application Deadline March 1, 2018
- Travel must be completed by September 30, 2018
- Awarded at CAES International Agriculture Day Reception
- Application Materials and Instructions
The core purpose of this scholarship award is to transform the way in which students view the world, encouraging them to find innovative solutions to the world’s complex hunger problems.
"There are few people who I can say dramatically changed my life and changed my trajectory - Dr. Kanemasu is one of them!"
Director, Economic Growth and Agriculture Program
Certificate in International Agriculture Alumna