David and Melody Goodson, co-owners of Goodson Pecans of Leesburg, Georgia, have taken the grand prize at University of Georgia’s 2018 Flavor of Georgia Food Product Contest with the Goodson Pecans Honey Cinnamon Pecan Butter.
The annual contest, conducted by the UGA Center for Agribusiness and Economic Development, is a chance for food businesses to showcase their new products.
A team of food industry experts and grocery buyers chose Goodson Pecans Honey Cinnamon Pecan Butter as the best of 33 finalists. They rated the products on qualities including innovation, use of Georgia theme, market potential and flavor.
In addition to the grand prize, Goodson Pecans also won first place in the miscellaneous category.
Governor Nathan Deal, Agriculture Commissioner Gary Black and UGA College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Dean and Director Sam Pardue congratulated the category and grand prize winners during Flavor of Georgia Day, part of Georgia Agriculture Awareness Week at the Georgia Freight Depot in Atlanta.
- Grand Prize Winner and Miscellaneous Category: Honey Cinnamon Pecan Butter, Goodson Pecans, Leesburg
- Finalists’ Choice Award and Honey Category: H.L. Franklin’s Healthy Honey Creamed Healthy, H.L. Franklin’s Healthy Honey, Statesboro
- Barbecue Sauces: Lane’s BBQ Sorta White BBQ Sauce, Lane’s BBQ, Bethlehem
- Beverages: Olympus Greek Mountain Blueberry Citrus Tea, Olympus Greek Mountain Teas, Lawrenceville
- Confections: Brown Butter Crunch Gelato, Honeysuckle Gelato, Atlanta
- Dairy Products: New World Chocolate Milk, Rock House Creamery, Newborn
- Jams and Jellies: Wild Elderberry Pepper Jelly, Fairywood Thicket Farm, Fairburn
- Meat and Seafood: Applewood Smoked Bacon, Pine Street Market, Avondale Estates
- Condiments and Salsas: Sourwood Balsamic Vinegar, Built by Bees, Atlanta
- Sauces and Seasonings: Cajeta, Bootleg Farm, LLC, Springfield
- Snack Foods: Sugar and Spice Cashews, High Cotton Company, Sandy Springs