Finalists from the 2013 Flavor of Georgia Food Product Contest and past Flavor of Georgia contests will be at the Buford Highway Farmers Market this weekend.
Food artisans from across Georgia will showcase their wares — a range of Georgia–made products ranging from sausages and sauces to cheeses and chocolates — and share the stories of how they got started in the food business.
The Buford Highway Farmers Market’s annual Flavor of Georgia Showcase helps highlight the market’s commitment to stocking locally produced goods and introduces their customers to new products, said Bill Schroeder of the Buford Highway Farmers Market.
This year’s showcase includes several winners and finalists from this year’s Flavor of Georgia competition and from past competitions as well. Over the years the showcase has become a reunion of sorts for Flavor of Georgia contestants.
“Some of these are companies that have expanded and grown, and we like to think we had some part in helping them along,” Schroeder said. “Their attendance is also a way new Flavor of Georgia entrepreneurs can interact with folks who have been through what they are now experiencing and exchange ideas and solutions to problems.
“All in all it is just fun to meet these folks and always a great weekend to shop at Buford Highway Farmers Market.”
The annual Flavor of Georgia Food Product Contest, conducted by the University of Georgia Center for Agribusiness and Economic Development, is a chance for food businesses to highlight new products.
“We had so many great contestants this year,” said Sharon P. Kane, Flavor of Georgia contest coordinator. “It really highlighted the high caliber of the food products created by Georgians.”
Winners in several of this year’s Flavor of Georgia categories will be at the market this weekend, including:
- Best sauce winner: My Sweet Hottie Sauce, www.Chinesesouthernbelle.com
- Best barbecue or hot sauce winner: Hotlanta Honey - Honey With A Sting!™, www.hotlantahoney.com
- Best meat product winner: Hunter Pork Co. Pork Sausage, www.huntercattle.com
- Best miscellaneous product winner: Gayla’s Grits, www.gaylasgrits.com
- Best snack product winner: Byne Blueberry Farms Burke Bar, www.byneblueberryfarms.com
Several past winners and finalists from this year’s contest will also be highlighting their products, including:
- Q Sauce Classic BBQ Sauce, www.qsaucestore.com
- M Chocolat Flavors of the South Chocolate-Covered Caramels, www.mchocolat.com
- Webbington’s Taste the Fruit Peach Habanero Preserves, www.webbingtons.com
- Capra Gia Tuscano Marinated Feta, www.capragia.com
- Just Add Honey Georgia peaches black tea, www.justaddhoney.net
- Original Kettle Corn, www.oldmillkettlecorn.com
- GG’s Seafood Gumbo, www.ggsfinefood.com
- Samba Flavor, www.sambaflavor.com
- Lazy Ray’s Ketchup and Mustard Sauce, www.lazzrays.com
The Buford Highway Farmers Market is a several thousand square foot supermarket located at 5600 Buford Highway in Doraville. It specializes in local products as well as produce and meat from around the world. More information is available at www.bufordhighwayfarmersmarket.com.
Those interested in learning more about the Flavor of Georgia contest can visit www.flavorofgeorgia.caes.uga.edu .
(Merritt Melancon is a news editor with the University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences.)