University of GeorgiaA hands-on pond renovation and management seminar is scheduled Sept. 27 in Macon for private and commercial pond managers in middle Georgia.
University of Georgia experts will show how to:
- Identify and manage common weeds.
- Stock and manage fish populations.
- Use aquatic insects to monitor water and environmental quality.
- Fertilize and lime ponds.
- Find resources to build ponds and manage watersheds.
Attending the entire seminar will provide 2 recertification credits for private licenses or commercial pesticide applicator licenses in category 26 (aquatic).
To get the most out of the seminar, bring closed containers, labeled with your name, address and phone number, containing:
- A quart of pond water for fertilizer and lime recommendations.
- Problem pond weeds for identification and control measures.
- Aquatic insects for identification.
(Dan Rahn is a news editor with the University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences.)