Summertime is right around the corner, and with it comes colorful flowers, tasty vegetables and leaf-chopping insects. We’re got articles and information to help you with your garden needs in the 36th edition of the Spring Garden Packet, produced by the University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences.
Written by CAES faculty, news editors and graduate and undergraduate students, these articles are designed to help you with timely, valuable gardening information for wherever you live in Georgia.
This year’s edition is split into sections. First, you’ll find articles on general gardening, followed by vegetables and fruits, water and insects. Happy gardening!
1. New UGA ornamental grasses grow fast but tame – Jonathan Andrews
2. Protect landscape plants, vegetable seedlings from frost – Andrea Gonzalez
3. Palms add a tropical flair to Georgia landscapes – Gary Wade
4. Size matters when selecting crape myrtles – Wade
5. Plants win gold medals for hardiness, beauty – Stephanie Schupska
6. UGA offers free resources for planting environmentally-friendly landscapes – Amanda Swennes
Vegetables and fruits
7. UGA Extension helps home gardeners grow their own food – April Sorrow
8. Top five easiest plants for beginner gardeners – Jamie Woodhead
9. Edible vegetables in your landscape – George Boyhan
10. Fresh, home-grown veggies without a garden – Woodhead
11. Fruits add flavor to your landscape – Sorrow
12. From garden to kitchen: Grow your own herbs – Schupska
13. Select proper varieties for picture perfect gardening – Stephen Garton
16. Squash borers cause squash-growing gardeners grief – Amanda Tedrow
17. Eastern caterpillars pitch springtime tents – Whitney Boozer
18. Stick insects make good pets – Nancy Hinkle
19. Summer vegetables: How to avoid an insect takeover – Andrews
For more information on gardening in your county, call your UGA Cooperative Extension agent at 1-800-ASK-UGA or visit ugaextension.com.
(Stephanie Schupska is a news editor with the University of Georgia Public Affairs Office.)