The College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences is committed to ensuring accessibility of its Web sites for people with disabilities. All of the pages on CAES Web sites should conform to Section 508 standards.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contents of this Document
Access keys have been established for keyboard accessibility of active elements on CAES Web sites. For Windows, press ALT+access key; for Macintosh, press CONTROL+access key.
- Access key 0: Accessibility Policy
- Access key 1: CAES Homepage
- Access key 2: College-wide Navigational Links
- Access key 3: Local Navigational Links
- Access key 4: Main Content
- Access key 5: Search
- Access key 7: Text only transcript
- Access key 8: Site Map
- Access key 9: Contact Us
- Access key a: Students
- Access key b: About CAES
- Access key c: Calendar
- Access key d: Departments
- Access key e: Extension
- Access key l: Alumni
- Access key n: News
- Access key p: Publications
- Access key r: Research
- Access key t: Topics
CAES Web sites utilize the following:
- Page elements controlled with cascading style sheets
- Style sheets can be turned off the page used with individualized style sheets.
- Relative font sizes and resizable text
- Limited table usage
- Appropriately labeled tables, when relevant
- A method to skip navigation
- Color that is secondary to meaning
- Non-flickering screens
- Links with title attributes or descriptive target text
- Links that make sense out of context
- Link text that is not duplicated (same text means same link)
- Images with ALT or LONGDESC attributes
- Correctly labeled and appropriately used spacer images
- Feedback and contact information on every screen
All CAES Web sites utilize a standard template with navigational elements as follows:
- Vertical navigation links are provided at the top of each page; a horizontal navigation bar is used just below these links.
- Vertical navigational links (“breadcrumbs”) are used on the left of each page to navigate content located in the center of each page.
- Horizontal navigation links for Find a Person, Find a Place search links are located at the bottom left of each page; a search box is located at the bottom right with options to search CAES, UGA and WWW.
- Horizontal navigation links are located at the bottom of each page.
- Target link text and titles are clear, concise and make sense when read out of context.
- Pages are keyboard accessible using the tab key or Access keys as defined above.
- Multimedia files are either open or closed captioned. Text-only transcripts are posted with media files. Descriptive Video transcripts are posted with media files where applicable.
- Forms are keyboard accessible; forms utilize logical layout and appropriate form labels.
- CAES, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
- OIT, Office of Information Technology
- OC, Office of Communications
- UGA, University of Georgia
- Freedom Scientifid, screen reader, short-term downloadable trial version available
- ReadPlease, free text-to-speech reader used to listen to Web pages read aloud
- LIFT, Text transcoder which dynamically generates customized text only views of Web sites
- WAVE, free online service to help determine the accessibility of your Web content, includes recommendations for repair
- Web Accessibility Toolbar (for IE, Opera) by The Web Accessibility Tools Consortium, download available from the Paciello Group
- Firefox Accessibility Extension, The Firefox Accessibility Extension makes it easier for people with disabilities to view and navigate web content. Developers can use the extension to check their use of structural and styling markup that support functional web accessibility.
- Firefox Web Developer Toolbar
- "Web Accessibility and Persons with Disabilities," The University of Georgia, Enterprise Information Technology Services
- "Section 508 Q&A," The University of Georgia
- "Electronic and Information Technology Accessibility Standards," Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board (ACCESS Board), Section 508 Standards
This policy will undergo periodic review and updates,
Last updated: August 15, 2011