Young Scholars Internship Program
The Young Scholars Program is a paid summer internship program for high school students interested in agricultural, food and environmental sciences. Selected students work 30 hours per week actively engaged in research under the guidance of a faculty mentor on the UGA Athens, Griffin or Tifton campus. During the program, students attend workshops and visit agricultural operations to gain exposure to the various fields of study and careers in agriculture. Upon completion of the program, students present their research during poster and oral sessions at the Young Scholars Pre-collegiate Research Conference held the final three days of the program on the UGA Athens campus.
- Completion of sophomore year and be 16 years old by program start date
- Ability to work at either the Athens, Griffin or Tifton campus
- Commitment to the full six-week internship
- Sincere interest in scientific exploration in agricultural, food and environmental sciences; math or technology
- Completion of at least one high school science course (including a laboratory class) and one semester of algebra
- Acceptance to the University of Georgia for graduating seniors
- 2019 program dates TBD
- Application open for submissions: Oct. 15
- Application deadline: Jan. 31
- Selection notification: April 1
What to include in the application
- Complete the application form online below
- Select campus (Athens, Griffin or Tifton)
- Complete short essay questions
- Submit two letters of recommendation from science or math teachers
- Submit official school transcript
Creating a CAES account to apply for YSP
- The link below will take you to "CAES Scholarships"
- Under "applicants", click "Request an account"
- Enter email address, click "submit request"
- It can take a couple of minutes, but you should receive an email with the subject "CAES Scholarship Account Request"
- Follow instructions in the message, and enter a desired username on the form it sends you to, and click "submit"
- Enter requested information from above and submit form
- It will take you back to the login form and ask you to log in
- Log in using the username and password you provided earlier
- Under "Scholarship Started" click "View the scholarships offered"
- Click "Young Scholars Internship Program"
- Click "Continue/Start Scholarship Application"
- Follow prompts
Things to Remember
- Complete ALL requested information
- Click SUBMIT at the end of the application
- Requests for recommendations will be sent upon submission of complete application
- Follow-up with recommenders before the application deadline. Let them know that a request for a letter of recommendation will be sent to them. Encourage them to complete and submit the recommendation before the application deadline.
Young Scholars Internship Program
YSP Primary Contact
The Young Scholars Program taught me many things in order to help to successfully adapt to college life. I was taught good work ethic and responsibility from having to work daily in an academic laboratory. I learned how to manage my time well because I learned how to balance work time with free time. Most importantly, I was able to learn insider tips from other students who knew how to be successful in college. The most important tip of all: study much more than you did in high school, and then study some more.