Athens Area Master Gardener Association
Monthly meetings are held at 5:30pm on the third Tuesday of each month. Meeting location varies, please check the web site or newsletter for updates.
AAMGA Membership Information
If you are interested in joining Athens Area Master Gardener Association please contact Teddy Lapaquette for an application or more information at (770) 479-5418. You can also contact Amanda Tedrow, Athens-Clarke County Extension Agent, at (706) 613-3640. Yearly dues are $10 for active Master Gardeners and $20 for friends of the association. Dues must be received by January 1st each year to remain in the association.
Like us on Facebook
Ongoing AAMGA Projects
Plant a Row for the Hungry at Clarke Middle School. Volunteers plant, maintain, and harvest fruits and vegetables for donation to local food banks. Contact Merry Anderson at (706) 549-4121 for more information.
Plant a Row for the Hungry at Thomas Orchards, Oconee Co : Volunteers plant, maintain, and harvest vegetables for donation to Northeast Georgia Food Bank. This garden currently grows warm season crops only. Contact Helen Wenner at firstname.lastname@example.org
Flower beds and herb garden at the Clarke Middle School Plant a Row Site. Contact Carol Wolf (706) 613-1122 for more information.
Rain Barrel Construction. Local Master Gardeners modify food grade 55 gallon barrels into rain barrels and sell them for $50 each. You can purchase barrels at Thomas Orchards in Watkinsville located at 6091 Macon Highway, Bishop, GA. Telephone: 706.769.5011
Athens-Clarke County Extension Office Master Gardener desk: Volunteers assist the County Agent with homeowner plant, insect and disease questions. This is a great learning experience. Contact Amanda Tedrow at (706) 613-3640 for more information.
Habitat for Humanity: Members assist new homeowners with landscaping. Please contact Jackie Williams at (770)725-7451 for more information.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
- Winterville Marigold Festival
- Athens Farmers Market Master Gardener Booth
- State Botanical Garden of Georgia
- UGA Horticulture Farm
- Sandy Creek Special Events
- Athens Tech Environmental Fair
- GreenLife Expo
AAMGA Special Events
- Plant Sale - Each spring AAMGA holds a plant sale. All plants sold at the sale are grown by our local Master Gardeners. Please contact Heather Gray, 2013 Plant Sale Coordinator, for more information. The 2013 plant sale will be at the Athens-Clarke County Extension Office on April 20th from 8:00 am to 1:00 pm.
- Athens Home and Garden Show Master Gardener Booth. Held each year at Classic Center in early spring AAMGA has a booth to answer gardening questions and share Extension Publications. Date to be announced for 2014.
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
AAMGA 2012 Executive Board
- President: Jean Colquett
- Vice President: vacant
- Recording Secretary: Shirley Baker
- Corresponding Secretary: Elizabeth Thurmond
- Treasurer: Teddy Lapaquette
- Immediate Past President: Andrea Fischer
- Athens-Clarke County Extension Agent: Amanda Tedrow
Other Association Leadership
- Newsletter Publisher and Listserv Coordinator: Elizabeth Thurmond
- Project Chairperson: Brenda Beckham