Agriculture & Natural Resources
Athens Area Master Gardener Association
Monthly meetings are held at 6:00 pm on the third Tuesday of each month. Meeting location varies, please check the web site or AAMGA newsletter for updates.
AAMGA Membership Information
If you are interested in joining Athens Area Master Gardener Association please contact Jean Ryan for an application or more information at (706) 202-3108. You can also contact Amanda Tedrow, Athens-Clarke County Extension Agent, at (706) 613-3640. Yearly dues are $10 for active Master Gardeners and $15 for friends of the association. Dues must be received by January 1st each year to remain in the association.
Like us on Facebook
2015 Daffodil Bulb Sale
This spring the Athens Area Master Gardener Association and the State Botanical Garden of Georgia are holding a bulb sale fundraiser featuring 12 varieties of daffodil bulbs. This year's sale is open to AAMGA members and SBG staff ONLY; AAMGA plans to make the sale available to the public in 2016.
Bulbs are sold in quantities of 25, 50 and 100 only and will be available to pickup at the State Botanical Garden in early October. You may view the selection of available daffodils. Completed order form and payment must be received by June 15, 2015. For more information, please contact Andrea Woodall at email@example.com, (706) 510-3708 or Jean Colquett at firstname.lastname@example.org, (706) 548-6612.
Ongoing AAMGA Projects
Plant a Row for the Hungry at Clarke Middle School. Volunteers plant, maintain, and harvest fruits and vegetables for donation to local food banks. Contact Merry Anderson at (706) 549-4121 for more information.
Plant a Row for the Hungry at Thomas Orchards, Oconee Co : Volunteers plant, maintain, and harvest vegetables for donation to Northeast Georgia Food Bank. This garden currently grows warm season crops only. Contact Helen Wenner at email@example.com
Flower beds and herb garden at the Clarke Middle School Plant a Row Site. Contact Carol Wolf (706) 613-1122 for more information.
Rain Barrel Construction. Local Master Gardeners modify food grade 55 gallon barrels into rain barrels and sell them for $50 each. You can purchase barrels at Thomas Orchards in Watkinsville located at 6091 Macon Highway, Bishop, GA. Telephone: 706.769.5011
Athens-Clarke County Extension Office Master Gardener desk: Volunteers assist the County Agent with homeowner plant, insect and disease questions. This is a great learning experience. Contact Amanda Tedrow at (706) 613-3640 for more information.
Habitat for Humanity: Members assist new homeowners with landscaping. Please contact Jackie Williams at (770)725-7451 for more information.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
- Winterville Marigold Festival
- Athens Farmers Market Master Gardener Booth
- State Botanical Garden of Georgia
- UGA Horticulture Farm
- Sandy Creek Special Events
- Athens Tech Environmental Fair
- GreenLife Expo
AAMGA Special Events
- Plant Sale - Each spring AAMGA holds a plant sale. All plants sold at the sale are grown by our local Master Gardeners. This year's plant sale is scheduled for Saturday, April 25th from 8:00 am to 1:00 pm at the Athens-Clarke County Extension office. Proceeds from the plant sale fund Master Gardener projects such as Plant a Row for the Hungry and scholarship opportunities.
- Athens Home and Garden Show Master Gardener Booth. Held each year at Classic Center in early spring AAMGA has a booth to answer gardening questions and share Extension Publications.
- Master Gardener Log Form
- End of the Year Summary Form
- Project Proposal Form (Extension Approval)
- Project Proposal Form
- Reimbursement Form
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- January 2015
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
AAMGA 2014 Executive Board
- President: Jackie Williams
- Vice President: Gary Wade
- Secretary: Carol Wolf
- Treasurer: Shirley Baker
- Immediate Past President: Jean Colquett
- Athens-Clarke County Extension Agent: Amanda Tedrow
Other Association Leadership
- Newsletter Publisher and Listserv Coordinator: Elizabeth Thurmond
- Project Chairperson: Brenda Beckham