Tifton professor puts training into practice
John Bernard (pictured above), a professor of animal and dairy science at the UGA Tifton Campus, is involved in numerous research projects, ranging from improving the use of byproduct feeds as alternatives to corn to using winter annual and perennial grass for lactating dairy cows. Byproducts, such as whole cottonseed and grains, are cheaper than corn and provide the energy, protein and minerals that cattle need. Bernard aims to feed cows and get the most out of it from a nutritional standpoint without endangering their health. Read more >>
Congrats to UGA-Tifton graduates
Congratulations to these seniors who graduated this year from the University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Tifton Campus:
- Brandi Bishop - Zebulon, Ga.
- Ashley Cochran - Dalton, Ga.
- Jamison Cruce - Suches, Ga.
- Christopher Earls - Lyons, Ga.
- Jessica Exum Goodman - Morven, Ga.
- Kyle Harris - Cochran, Ga.
- Blaine Holbrook - Nashville, Ga.
- James Judson - Cochran, Ga.
- Brittaney Schwing - Chula, Ga.
- Tiffany Walker - Chickamauga, Ga.
Graduation was held on Saturday, May 11 at the UGA Tifton Campus Conference Center.
Technology aiding peanut farmers
George Vellidis, a researcher on the UGA Tifton Campus, recently conducted a two-year study testing an on-board computer system for tractors. He concludes that the auto-steer technology is driving peanut farmers to higher crop yields and bigger profit margins. Read more >>
Annual Turfgrass Conference held in Tifton
Turf scientists and breeders from the University of Georgia, ABAC, Clemson and the University of Florida all brought the latest in turf and grass science to south Georgia for the 67th annual Southeastern Turfgrass Conference. The annual event highlights UGA turfgrass research and provides professionals with the knowledge they need to manage grasses in “the real world,” said UGA College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences turfgrass breeder Brian Schwartz. Read more >> -OR- Watch video >>
UGA Day held in Tifton
Tifton-area UGA alumni and friends gathered at the UGA Tifton Campus Conference Center on Wednesday, April 24 to get the inside scoop on the Georgia Bulldogs' upcoming seasons from UGA Coach Mark Richt and host, Chuck Dowdle. Thanks to everyone who attended. The event was a huge success! Watch video >>
Blueberry expert Erick Smith was recently hired by the UGA College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences as a fruit specialist for southern Georgia on the Tifton Campus.
In his new position, he'll spend 80 percent of his time working with fruit farmers on critical issues affecting the industry and blueberry production. He'll spend the other 20 percent of his time researching ways to make fruit production more efficient in south Georgia. Read more >>