D.W. Brooks Lecture and Awards
Tuesday, November 10, 2015
UGA Hotel and Conference Center at the Georgia Center, Athens, Ga.
Lecture — 3:30 p.m. in Mahler Auditorium
Reception — 4:30 p.m.
2015 Award Winners
Winners of this year's D.W. Brooks Awards for Excellence for training students, developing technology and providing the educational outreach that will help to feed the world are as follows:
- Peggy Ozias-Akins, a professor in the Department of Horticulture and director of the UGA Institute of Plant Breeding, Genetics and Genomics, won the D.W. Brooks Distinguished Professor Award.
- Ronald Pegg, an associate professor in the Department of Food Science and Technology, won the D.W. Brooks Award for Excellence in Teaching.
- George Vellidis, a professor in the Department of Crop and Soil Sciences, won the D.W. Brooks Award for Excellence in Research.
- Phil Brannen, a professor in the Department of Plant Pathology, won the D.W. Brooks Award for Excellence in Extension.
- Jennifer Grogran, Mitchell County Extension coordinator and 4-H agent, won the D.W. Brooks Award for Excellence in Public Service Extension.
CAES Faculty and Staff Awards were presented to:
- Robert Beckstead, an associate professor in the Department of Poultry Science, won the CAES Faculty Award for Outstanding Academic Advisor.
- Mary Jane Scarborough, administrative specialist in the Department of Horticulture, won the CAES Staff Award for Administrative or Professional Support.
- Carl Hall, farm supervisor at UGA Durham Horticulture Research Farm, won the CAES Staff Award for Skilled Trades Support.
- Jennifer Berry, research professional and lab manager for the UGA Honey Bee Program, won the CAES Staff Award for Technical Support.