News and announcements
- Seminar Series - Spring 2016
- AAEC Newsletter
- Departmental Position announcements:
- Open Rank Faculty Position in Economic Development, Natural Resource/ Environmental Economics, and/or International Trade (PDF)
- Assistant/ Associate Professor (Extension Economist - Cotton) (PDF)
- Assistant/Associate Professor (Extension Economist Cattle) (PDF)
- Other Positions
- Faculty Position Announcement - Forest Taxation and Economics Outreach Specialist ( Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources )
Please Welcome to the Department
A new faculty member has
joined the Agricultural and Applied
Dr. Chen Zhen comes from RTI International, an independent, nonprofit institute that provides research on health, the environment, economic and social policy, and other subjects to clients around the world. From 2006 to 2015, he served as a research economist in RTI’s Food and Nutrition Policy Research Program. Now at UGA, he takes on the role of UGA Athletic Association Associate Professor in Food Choice, Obesity and Health Economics. Dr. Zhen’s specialty is demand and price analysis, applied econometrics and the economics of nutrition and healthy eating. His work on soda tax, in which he researched the effects of taxing sugary drinks and evaluated the tax’s effect on reducing caloric intake and obesity, has been featured in The New York Times and on NPR, WHYY and WNYC.
Most recently, Dr. Zhen has begun expanding his research to include U.S. tobacco control policies and China nutrition policies. Dr. Zhen has received numerous awards, including the RTI President’s Award and the RTI Career Author Award. He also received an honorable mention for Best Economics Paper in Food Safety and Nutrition from the Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
Additionally, he has refereed several academic journals, including the American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics, China Agricultural Economic Review, and Public Health Nutrition, among others. Please join the department in extending a warm welcome and best wishes to Dr. Zhen as he begins his time at the University of Georgia.