B.S., Missouri State University
M.S., University of Arkansas
Ph.D.,University of Florida
Areas of research interest focus on pre- and post-harvest methodologies that impact factors considered traits of value to the red meat industry and red meat animal producers. Current programs of interest include:
Pre-harvest production and management factors that affect lean meat yield, quality and profitability for beef and pork
Identifying methods to increase the value of red meat products through muscle profiling
Cellular mechanisms responsible for meat tenderness and quality
Investigation of pre- and post-harvest food safety strategies
-ADSC 1050 The Meat We Eat
-ADSC 3650 Introduction to Meat Science
-ADSC 6890 Advanced Meat Science
Selected Recent Publications
23. Gonzalez, J.M., D.D. Johnson, M.A. Elzo, M.C. White, A.M. Stelzleni, and S.E. Johnson. 2014. Effect of Brahman genetic influence on collagen enzymatic crosslinking gene expression and meat tenderness. Anim. Biotech. Accepted 9/18/13.
22. Talton, C.S., A.M. Stelzleni, J.S. Shook, G.M. Hill, C.R. Kerth, M. Pence, and T.D. Pringle. 2014. Effects of ovariectomization and ractopamine hydrochloride inclusion on
heifer feedlot performance, meat yield, and tenderness of select muscles. Meat Sci., 96:73-81.
21. Gonzalez, J.M., K.M. Vonnahme, S.M. Ebarb, A.M. Stelzleni, and S.E. Johnson. 2013. Realimentation of nutrient restricted pregnant beef cows supports compensatory fetal muscle growth. J. Anim. Sci., 91:4797-4806.
20. Stelzleni, A.M., M.A. Froetschel, and T.D. Pringle. 2013. Effects of feeding extruded full- fat cottonseed pellets in place of tallow as a fat source for finishing heifers on feedlot
performance, carcass characteristics, sensory traits, display color, and fatty acid profiles. J. Anim. Sci., 91:4510-4520.
19. Stelzleni, A.M., A. Ponrajan, and M.A. Harrison. 2013. Effects of buffered vinegar and sodium dodecyl sulfate plus levulinic acid on Salmonella Typhimurium survival, shelf-life,
and sensory characteristics of ground beef patties. Meat Sci., 95:1-7.
18. Segers, J.R., A.M. Stelzleni, T.D. Pringle, M.A. Froetschel, C.L. Ross, and R.L. Stewart, Jr. 2013. Utilization of corn gluten feed and dried distillers grains plus solubles as a replacement for soybean meal and corn for supplementation in a corn silage-based stocker system. J. Anim. Sci., 91:950-956.
17. Ponrajan, A., M.A. Harrison, T.D. Pringle, J.R. Segers, B.K. Lowe, R.O. McKeith, and A.M. Stelzleni. 2012. Effect of sodium citrate plus sodium diacetate or buffered vinegar on quality attributes of enhanced beef top rounds. Food Nut. Sci., 3:354-362.
16. Lowe, B.K., R.O. McKeith, J.R. Segers, R.M. Pitzer, J.A. Safko, M.A. Froetschel, R.L. Stewart, Jr., A.M. Stelzleni, M.N. Streeter, J.M. Hodgen, and T.D. Pringle. 2012. The effects of zilpaterol hydrohloride supplementation on market dairy cow performance, carcass characteristics, and cutability. Prof. Anim. Sci., 28:150-157.
15. Ponrajan, A., M.A. Harrison, T.D. Pringle, J.R. Segers, B.K. Lowe, R.O. McKeith, and A.M. Stelzleni. 2012. Effect of sodium citrate plus sodium diacetate or buffered vinegar on quality attributes of enhanced beef top sirloins. Meat Science, 91:43-49.
14. Segers, J.R., R.L. Stewart, Jr., C.A. Lents, T.D. Pringle, M.A. Froetschel, B.K. Lowe, R.O. McKeith, and A.M. Stelzleni. 2011. Effect of long-term corn by-product feeding on beef quality, strip loin fatty acid profiles, and shelf-life. J. Anim. Sci., 89: 3792-3802.
13. Lents, C.A., R.D. Randel, A.M. Stelzleni, A.W. Lewis, and T.H. Welsh, Jr. 2011. Residual feed intake is not associated with luteal function or replacement beef heifers during acute submaintenance feeding. J. Anim. Sci., 89: 4023-4031.
12. Ponrajan, A., M.A. Harrison, J.R. Segers, B.K. Lowe, R.O. McKeith, T.D. Pringle, K.G. Martino, J.H. Mulligan, and A.M. Stelzleni. 2011. Effects of sodium citrate plus sodium diacetate and buffered vinegar on Escherichia coli O157:H7 and psychrotrophic bacteria in brine injected beef. J. Food Prot., 74: 359-364.
11. Gonzalez, J.M., S.E. Johnson, A.M. Stelzleni, T.A. Thrift, J.D. Savell, T.M. Warnock and D.D. Johnson. 2010. Effect of ractopamine-HCL supplementation for 28 days on carcass characteristics, muscle fiber morphometrics, and whole muscle yields of six distinct muscles of the loin and round. Meat Sci., 85: 379-384.
10. Stelzleni, A.M. and D.D. Johnson. 2010. Benchmarking sensory off-flavor score, off-flavor descriptor and fatty acid profiles for muscles from commercially available beef and dairy cull cow carcasses. Livestock Science, 131: 31-38.
9. Coker, M.D., R.L. West, J.H. Brendemuhl, D.D. Johnson, and A.M. Stelzleni. 2009. Effects of live weight and processing on the sensory traits, androstenedione concentration and 5-alpha-androst-16-en-3-one (androstenone) concentration in boar meat. Meat Science, 82: 399-404.
8. Patten, L.E., J.M. Hodgen, A.M. Stelzleni, C.R. Calkins, D.D. Johnson, and B.L. Gwartney. 2008. Chemical properties of cow and beef muscles: Benchmarking the differences and similarities. J. Anim. Sci., 86: 1904-1916.
7. Stelzleni, A.M., D.D. Johnson, and T.A. Thrift. 2008. Cull cow performance and effects of postmortem aging on carcass and palatability characteristics of selected muscles following realimentation. Prof. Anim. Sci., 24: 334-341.
6. Stelzleni, A.M. and D.D. Johnson. 2008. Effect of days on concentrate feed on sensory off- flavor score, off-flavor descriptor and fatty acid profiles for selected muscles from cull beef cows. Meat Sci., 78: 382-393.
5. Stelzleni, A.M., L.E. Patten, D.D. Johnson, C.R. Calkins, and B.L. Gwartney. 2007. Benchmarking carcass characteristics and muscles for Warner-Bratzler shear force and sensory attributes from commercially available beef and dairy cull cow carcasses. J. Anim. Sci., 85: 2631-2638.
4. Stelzleni, A.M., T.L. Perkins, A.H. Brown Jr., Z.B. Johnson, F.W. Pohlman, and B.A. Sandelin. 2003. Use of ultrasound to identify Brangus cattle with superior intramuscular fat and other carcass traits. Prof. Anim. Sci., 19: 39-43.
3. Sandelin, B.A., A.H. Brown Jr., M.A. Brown, Z.B. Johnson, and A.M. Stelzleni. 2002. Genotype x environmental interaction for mature size and rate of maturing for Angus, Brahman and reciprocal cross cows on endophyte infected Fescue or Bermudagrass. J. Anim. Sci., 80: 3073-3076.
2. Stelzleni, A.M., T.L. Perkins, A.H. Brown Jr., Z.B. Johnson, F.W. Pohlman, and B.A. Sandelin. 2002. Genetic parameter estimates of yearling live animal ultrasonic measurements in Brangus cattle. J. Anim. Sci., 80: 3150-3153.
1. Yazwinski, T.A., C. Tucker, A. Stelzleni, Z. Johnson, J. Robins, K. Downum, M. Fincher, J. Matlock, and H.D. Chapman. 2002. Subclinical effects and fenbendazole treatment of turkey Ascaridiasis under simulated field conditions. Avian Diseases, 46:886-892.