Areas of Expertise
- Poultry nutrition (broiler, turkey, laying hen and duck)
- Intestinal physiology
- Ph.D, Animal Science, The Ohio State University
- M.S., Animal Science, Iowa State University
- B.S., Animal Science, Iowa State University
- American Feed Industry Association Poultry Nutrition Research Award (PSA). 2009.
- Maple Leaf Farms Duck Research Award (PSA). 2009.
- B.R.A.I.N. (Biomin Research and Innovation Network) Research Award. 2010. Salzburg, Austria.
- USDA – National Excellence in Multistate Research Award. 2011. Awarded to S-1032:
- Improving the sustainability of livestock and poultry production in the US.
- Evonik Degussa Award for Achievement in Poultry Science (PSA). 2013.
Dr. Applegate’s translational research program explores mechanisms of nutrient interaction with and within the gastro-intestinal tract to ultimately improve nutrient absorption and retention. A primary research focus Dr. Applegate’s lab explores methods for reducing phosphorus, nitrogen and ammonia excretion including determination of amino acid digestibility of feed ingredients, ingredient selection, formulation level, use of supplemental amino acids and use of acidulants. A second major research focus explores contributions of diet, pathogens, toxins, and stressors to endogenous nutrient and energy losses from the gastro-intestinal tract and dietary strategies to minimize them.
Selected Journal Publications
- Applegate, T.J., V. Klose, T. Steiner, A. Ganner, and G. Schatzmayr. 2010. Probiotics and phytogenics for poultry: myth or reality? J. Appl. Poult. Res. 19:194-210. (invited review)
- Adedokun, S.A., O. Adeola, C. Parsons, M.S. Lilburn, and T.J. Applegate. 2011. Factors affecting endogenous amino acid flow in chickens and the need for consistency in methodology (review). Poult. Sci. 90:1737-1748.
- Jiang, Z., T.J. Applegate, and A.C. Lossie. 2013. Molecular cloning, alternative splicing and developmental expression of chicken intestinal MUC2. PLoS One. 8:e53781.
- Grenier, B. and T.J. Applegate. 2013. Invited Review -Modulation of intestinal functions upon mycotoxin ingestion: meta-analysis of published experiments in animals. Toxins. 5:396-430.
- Applegate, T.J., and R. Angel. 2014. Review: Nutrient requirements of poultry publication: history and need for an update. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 23:567-575.
Additional publications from Dr. Applegate can be found through: