- An Overview of Sod- Based Rotation Using Conservation Techniques (UFL) Results of a study on the use of perennial grasses in commodity crop rotations.
- Crop Rotations on Organic Farms (NCSU) Information on the uses and benefits of crop rotation.
- Building Soils for Better Crops: Crop Rotations (SARE) This chapter contains general guidelines for crop rotation.
- Crop Rotation on Organic Farms, A Planning Manual (SARE) An excellent resource to help in planning crop rotations.
- Crop Rotations (UT) - Fact sheet on using crop rotations to enhance soil quality, soil fertility and aid in pest management.
- National Conference on Cover Crops and Soil Health (SARE) Videos and presentations from the 2014 National Conference on Cover Crops and Soil Health
- Cover Crops for Weed Management PowerPoint presentation with general cover crop information.
- Managing Cover Crops Profitably, 3rd Edition (SARE) Excellent resource for cover crop basics and how to incorporate them into farming practices.
- Cover Crops (UFL) Bulletin includes suggested cover crops for winter and fall; applicable to South Georgia.
- Cover Crops for Organic Farms (NCSU) How to use cover crops, cover crop recommendations for the Southeast, and resource list.
- Cover Crops Resource Page (UC SAREP) Research, publications, database, and websites pertaining to cover crops.
- How Cover Crops Suppress Weeds (eXtension) Publication on benefits of cover crops on weed suppression without chemicals.
- Rotations, Cover Crops & Green Fallow on the Canon Horticulture Project: A 2010 Status Report - Update on a four-year rotation including cover crops that shows the benefits for weed management, erosion control, and nutrient uptake.
- Cover Crops and Green Manures (UT) - Fact sheet on using cover crops and green manures to reduce soil erosion, suppress weeds and insects and preserve soil nutrients
- Cover Crop Biomass Catalog - Photo catalog of summer, winter, and mixes of grain and legume cover crops.
- Cash Crop after Cover Crop video - This video is a very brief glimpse at cover crop research at the UGA Horticulture Farm. They are testing a Nitrogen Prediction Tool from cover crops. This shows broccoli grown after a cowpea summer cover crop.
- Cover Crop Video: Lamar Black on Cover Crops
- Cover Crop Video: Scott Utley and Ronnie Barentine discuss the benefits of a Crimson Clover Cover Crop
- Cover Crop Video: Ronnie Barentine discusses Rye as a Cover Crop
Integrated Pest Management
- Manage Insects on Your Farm: A Guide to Ecological Strategies (SARE) List of pest management- related web links.
- Yellowmargined Leaf Beetle Information on its life-stages and organic management strategies.
- Managing Phytophthora Blight (Clemson) Managing Phytophthora Diseases on Squashes and Peppers
- Organic Insect Management in Sweet Corn (SARE) Scouting, thresholds and management methods for key caterpillar pests
- Pest Identification (Clemson) Links to pest identification sites.
- Biorationals: Ecological Pest Management Database (ATTRA) Search for OMRI approved materials to control specific pests.
- Biointensive Integrated Pest Management (ATTRA) General information and management strategies for controlling pests.
- Nematodes: Alternative Controls (ATTRA) Environmentally conscious strategies for dealing with nematodes.
- Biological Control (Cornell) Control strategies for parasitoids, predators, pathogens, and weed feeders.
- Resource Guide for Organic Insect and Disease Management (Cornell)
- Biological Pest Management-This website gives information on how to use beneficial insects and farmscaping for insect pest management.
- Organic Insect Management in Sweet Corn - SARE Fact Sheet: Scouting, thresholds and management methods for key caterpillar pests.
- Trap Crops, Intercropping and Companion Planting (UT) - Short guide to using trap crops and intercropping to control pests and increase productivity of crops.
- Steel in the Field: A Farmer's Guide to Weed Management Tools (SARE) Publication on managing weeds without the use of herbicides.
- Weed Management (NCSU) Information on integrated weed control practices.
- The Rotary Hoe (NCSU) Guide to using the rotary hoe as a method of weed control for grains.
- Weed Management (UFL) Website with links to information on a variety of topics related to weed management.
- Principles of Sustainable Weed Management for Cropland (ATTRA) Guide to alternative strategies for controlling weeds on croplands.
- Success with Organic Grains: Nitrogen Management in Organic Corn YouTube video
- Success with Organic Grains: Seedbed Preparation YouTube video
- Success with No-Till Organic Soybeans: Getting the Good Weed-Free Stand YouTube video
- The Certificate Program in Organic Agriculture (UGA) Information on the program of study at UGA.
- Organic Production Systems (UGA) Overview of organic production.
- Organic Small Fruit Production (UGA and FVSU) Advantages of producing small fruits organically.
- The National Organic Program (USDA) National organic standards, accreditation, general resources, and information.
- Organic Farming (UFL) Extension page with links to publications on a variety of organic farming topics.
- Introduction to Organic Crop Production (UFL) Introductory information about organic agriculture.
- North Carolina Organic Resources Production, certification, marketing, and networking resources for organic farmers.
- Natural Herbicides for Organic Weed Control (USDA-ARS) Discusses general information on alternative weed control options.
- Sustainable Agriculture: An Introduction (ATTRA) Resources and information on getting started with organic farming.
- Organic Crop Workbook: A Guide to Sustainable and Allowed Practices (NCAT) Helpful resource for complying with NOP standards.
- Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) Organization which regulates inputs allowed in organic farming.
- Organic Production (eXtension) Information, webinars, and general topics related to organic production practices.
- National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service Resources and information on organic/sustainable agriculture - publications, crop information, how to become certified, marketing, etc.
- Efficacy of Microbial Biopesticides that may be used in Organic Farming - This article summarizes publicly available data on efficacy of commercially-available, EPA-registered microbial biopesticides for plant disease control. Biopesticide Controls of Plant Diseases: Resources and Products for Organic Farmers in Ohio.
- Organic Seed Alliance has resources and webinars on organic seed production
- Carolina Farm Stewardship Association (CFSA) publication on certified organic and untreated non-GMO seed
- Carolina Farm Stewardship Association (CFSA) southeastern variety trials results
- Tomato Organic Management and Improvement Project (TOMI) is a USDA funded, multi-state project on variety improvement
- eXtension has publications on seed, seed production and variety trials
- The Northern Organic Vegetable Improvement Collaborative (NOVIC) joins researchers and farmers in Northern U.S. states to address organic farmers’ seed and plant breeding needs
- Southern Conservation Tillage Conference and Proceedings
- USDA ARS National Soil Dynamics Laboratory Conservation Systems Research
- Conservation Tillage Systems (UGA) Conservation tillage practices for improving soil quality
- Water Savings through Conservation Tillage
- Conservation Tillage on Organic Farms (NCSU) Article about the uses and benefits of conservation tillage.
- Legumes for N Fertilizer (UGA) Winter legumes as a nitrogen source.
- Soil Inoculants (UGA) An overview of the various uses of soil inoculants along with management considerations.
- How to Convert an Inorganic Fertilizer Recommendation to an Organic One (UGA)Using organic fertilizers based on the results of soil testing.
- Using Poultry Litter in Pastures and Hayfields (UGA) General information on the use of poultry litter to fertilize pastures and hayfields.
- The Value of Poultry Litter in South Georgia (UGA) Findings from a survey on the usage and economic value of poultry.
- Soil Testing for Home Lawns, Gardens, and Wildlife Food Plots (UGA) Procedure for taking soil samples; also applicable to farms.
- Building Soils for Better Crops (SARE) Book with helpful information on soil management for healthier crops and soil.
- Fertility, Soil, and Irrigation Management (UFL) Considerations and resource list for organic soil management.
- Fertility Management (NCSU) Explanation of various soil fertility tests and sources of minerals.
- Soil Quality Information Sheets for Rangeland (USDA) Information sheets on aggregate stability, compaction, monitoring and other soil quality topics.
- Resource Guide to Organic & Sustainable Vegetable Production: Soil Management (ATTRA) Links and web resources related to soil management.
- Soil Management: National Organic Program Regulations (ATTRA) Criteria for meeting National Organic Program requirements.
- Oregon Organic Fertilizer Calculator Compare the cost, nutrient value, and nitrogen availability of organic materials and plan the most balanced and cost-effective fertilizer program for your farm
Other Production Practices
- Composting and Mulching (UGA) Creating and using a compost system for organic waste materials.
- Composting on Organic Farms (NCSU) Guide to improving soil fertility with compost and how to meet NOP standards.
- Build a Worm Compost Bin (WSU) How to use worms to compost food waste.
- University of Georgia Honey Bee Program (UGA) Information on the program and related links.
- Pollination of Vegetable Crops (UGA) General information on plant pollination.
- Beyond Butterflies: Gardening for Native Pollinators (UGA) Choosing plants which support pollinator populations.
- Pollinator Conservation Resource Center - Here you can you can find regional information about plant lists, habitat conservation guides, and much more
- Non-Chemical Horn Fly Traps (NDSU) Information on a low-maintenance, pesticide-free management tool.
- Root-Knot Nematodes in the Vegetable Garden
Guide to prevention and treatment of root-knot nematodes in the garden.
- Nematode Management in Organic Agriculture
Guide to understanding and handling nematodes in an organic production system.
- Nematode Suppressive Crops
Guide to suppressing plant parasitic nematodes.