The College Station in Athens was officially recognized in 1950, although experiments on crops and livestock had been conducted for decades on research farms on and near the University of Georgia main campus. In fact, in 1907 the agronomy experimental plots were laid out on South Lumpkin Street, where the coliseum, athletic fields and Hoke Smith buildings are now located.
Headquarters of the UGA Agricultural Experiment Stations, College Station research cuts across every scientific discipline and includes much of the fundamental, cellular-level research on crops and animals. College Station scientists use a range of facilities on the UGA Athens campus to support their teaching and research programs, including the Plant Genome Mapping Laboratory; Soil, Plant, and Water Lab; Feed and Environmental Water Lab; and Pesticide and Hazardous Waste Lab.
Current research projects at the College Station include food packaging improvement studies, development of new pest and disease-resistant crops, livestock cloning research and biological control of insect pests. Crop and animal breeding research at the station results in crops, poultry and livestock that carry the genes for higher yields, greater disease resistance and improved offspring.
- Conner Hall
- 147 Cedar Street
- Athens, GA 30602