J. Phil Campbell Sr.
- Birth: 03/02/1878, Spalding County, Georgia
- Death: 12/11/1944
Georgia Agricultural Hall of Fame
Mr. Campbell was a pioneer in agricultural work, particularly in Extension. He was associated with Congressman Lever of South Carolina and Senator Smith of Georgia, sponsors of the Smith-Lever Act, which created the Cooperative Extension Service. Under his leadership, Camp Wilkins, the former 4-H Club camp at the University of Georgia, was built.
Occupation: Superintendent of the first agricultural high school in Georgia; state agent for South Carolina Farmers Cooperative Demonstration, a forerunner of the present Extension Service; regional supervisor for the Farmer's Cooperative Demonstration in Washington, D.C.; state agent and director for the Cooperative Extension Service; and Head of the Cooperative Relations in Extension section.