Henry L. Reaves
- Birth: 08/07/1919, Kissimmee, Florida
Georgia Agricultural Hall of Fame
As a farmer and public affairs representative with Southern Railway, Mr. Reaves recognized a great need for agricultural facilities, technical support and research. He has faithfully sought to provide those since winning a seat in the Georgia House of Representatives since 1963. Mr. Reaves has served on the House Agriculture Committee for 32 years, the past 20 as chair. He is also on the House Appropriations Committee and chairs the Agricultural Appropriations Subcommittee. In his years of championing Georgia agriculture, Mr. Reaves' support of the UGA College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences has never wavered. He played a vital role in building the Comprehensive Agricultural Livestock and Poultry Facility and Veterinary Diagnostic Lab in Athens, the Center for Food Safety and Quality Enhancement building in Griffin and the Bull Test Station and Plant Pathology Lab in Tifton, as well as the National Fairgrounds and Agricenter in Perry and many other facilities. He pushed through the authorizing legislation that began the Boll Weevil Eradication Program and brought cotton back as a major cash crop in Georgia. Mr. Reaves' agricultural and rural development leadership in the Southern Legislative Conference and the National Conference of State Legislators has helped generate national funding for agricultural research and extension and has helped shaped national farm policy.
Occupation: Farmer, state legislator.