The 2017 Athens Young Scholars visited the Chick-fil-A Backstage Tour Corporate Office in Atlanta, Georgia and the Georgia Poultry Laboratory Network in Gainesville, Georgia. During the program, Young Scholars received a student orientation, employee professionalism training from the Career Services Center, a library and research workshop from a library specialist, and a Real Colors workshop on personality assessment and collaboration from the Office of Diversity Affairs.
Joshua Patton (JP) is a first year biological science major from Decatur, Georgia.
JP discovered the Young Scholars Program while attending the Ga DAZE Breakfast - an Office of Institutional Diversity program, which aims to encourage talented, historically underrepresented students to enroll at the University of Georgia. The College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences' Biological Science degree allows JP to pursue medical school and attend a small college with a supportive environment. JP is now a member of the UGA Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Related Sciences.
YSP Athens: How to Apply
The Young Scholars Program will be held June 4 to July 13, 2018. Summer internships are open to high school students who have met the eligibility requirements and are willing to make a commitment to a summer science project. Interested students must submit an online application to the program coordinator at the desired work location (Athens, Griffin, or Tifton).
- Applications are open October 15, 2017 until January 31, 2018
- Completed applications require two letters of recommendation from a science teacher, math teacher or counselor; and
Admission to the YSP summer program is competitive. Applications are ranked by a panel. It is very important that essays are thoughtfully written, and all required components are included.
Those who are accepted into the Young Scholars Program will be notified by April 1, 2018.
To submit an application follow the APPLY NOW link below and note the following:
- This link will take you to "CAES Scholarships"
- Under "applicants", click "Request an account"
- Enter email address, click "submit request"
- It can take a couple of minutes, but you should receive an email with the subject "CAES Scholarship Account Request"
- Follow instructions in the message, and enter a desired username on the form it sends you to, and click "submit"
- Enter requested information and submit form
- It will take you back to the login form and ask you to log in
- Log in using the username and password you provided earlier
- Under "Scholarship Started" click "View the scholarships offered"
- Click "Young Scholars Internship Program"
- Click "Continue/Start Scholarship Application"
- Follow prompts
Things to Remember
- Complete ALL requested information
- Click SUBMIT at the end of the application
- Requests for recommendations will be sent upon submission of complete application
- Follow-up with recommenders before the application deadline. Let them know that a request for a letter of recommendation will be sent to them. Encourage them to complete and submit the recommendation before the application deadline.