The 2017 Griffin Young Scholars visited the USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service where students learned about the vital role APHIS plays by keeping U.S. agricultural industries free from pests and diseases. The Griffin campus also visited the Camp Fortson 4-H Center for team building activities and participated in survival skills training. In addition to the field trip, Scholars visited a campus field site or research area each week on the Griffin Campus, such as insect Genetics; Food Sensory Science; and peach, grape and wheat research. While in Athens, students visited the Large Animal Research Unit in Animal and Dairy Science with Dr. Franklin West and participated in a seminar by Dr. Nancy Hinkle called “Bugs, Bugs, Everywhere!
Riti Desai is a first year Food Science major from the YSP Griffin Campus. Learning about the vast opportunities in the CAES influenced Riti to pursue Food Science in order to meet her research interests in college.
Riti was selected among the top 3 Scholars from her campus in the Oral Presentation at the YSP Pre-collegiate Research Conference.
YSP Griffin: How to Apply
The Young Scholars Program will be held June 4 to July 13, 2018. Summer internships are open to high school students who have met the eligibility requirements and are willing to make a commitment to a summer science project. Interested students must submit an online application to the program coordinator at the desired work location (Athens, Griffin, or Tifton).
- Applications are open October 15, 2017 until January 31, 2018
- Completed applications require two letters of recommendation from a science teacher, math teacher or counselor; and
Admission to the YSP summer program is competitive. Applications are ranked by a panel. It is very important that essays are thoughtfully written, and all required components are included.
Those who are accepted into the Young Scholars Program will be notified by April 1, 2018.
To submit an application follow the APPLY NOW link below and note the following:
- This link will take you to "CAES Scholarships"
- Under "applicants", click "Request an account"
- Enter email address, click "submit request"
- It can take a couple of minutes, but you should receive an email with the subject "CAES Scholarship Account Request"
- Follow instructions in the message, and enter a desired username on the form it sends you to, and click "submit"
- Enter requested information and submit form
- It will take you back to the login form and ask you to log in
- Log in using the username and password you provided earlier
- Under "Scholarship Started" click "View the scholarships offered"
- Click "Young Scholars Internship Program"
- Click "Continue/Start Scholarship Application"
- Follow prompts
Things to Remember
- Complete ALL requested information
- Click SUBMIT at the end of the application
- Requests for recommendations will be sent upon submission of complete application
- Follow-up with recommenders before the application deadline. Let them know that a request for a letter of recommendation will be sent to them. Encourage them to complete and submit the recommendation before the application deadline.