R. Harold Harrison
Georgia Agricultural Hall of Fame
R. Harold Harrison of Bethlehem, Georgia devoted his life's work to the poultry business. When he first entered the poultry business, he sold most of his chicks to feed dealers in the area until 1954 when he started contract broiler growing.
By 1966, Mr. Harrison's poultry business was completely integrated by constructing a fully automated push-button feed mill in Winder. Today, Harrison Poultry employs approximately 600 people. They hatch, grow and process about 800,000 broilers per week.
During his career, he was honored with a distinguished service plaque and lifetime membership by the Georgia School Boards Association for his service to Barrow County Schools. He was Director of the National Broiler Council and awarded the Agri-Leader of the Year in 1984 by the Atlanta Farmers Club.
Mr. Harrison was a member of the Barrow County Board of Education for 24 years serving as chairman for 12 years. As a State Senator, he represented Gwinnett, Barrow, Jackson, and Banks counties.
He organized a charitable foundation in his parents memory for medical research and church related activities. One of his last and most memorable gifts was the building of a new church for the Bethlehem United Methodist Church. He alone acquired the land and solely funded the entire project.