Undergraduate Research Initiative
The College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Undergraduate Research Program allows students the opportunity to conduct research under the direction of a CAES faculty member, giving them hands-on research experience at an undergraduate level.
Who: Any CAES undergraduate student may conduct research with a faculty mentor.
How: Students are responsible for contacting faculty and arranging a research project with that faculty mentor for the given academic year.
When: Research is conducted throughout the academic year. Undergraduate research activities will culminate in the 2019-20 CAES Undergraduate Research Symposium in Spring 2020.
Funding: CAES students and their research mentors are invited to apply for $500 in student wages plus $500 to cover research-related costs. Students who receive funding are required to present their research findings at the CAES Undergraduate Research Symposium in Spring 2020. CAES faculty mentors will be awarded $500 to be applied toward research expenses.
Please note: Students already receiving wages to conduct the proposed research are not eligible for the $500 funding from this program to be used as hourly wages. However, students already receiving wages to conduct the proposed research ARE eligible for $500 for the CAES faculty mentors to use for research expenses. CAES faculty are limited to two funded projects ($1,000 research support) per academic year. However, they can mentor more than two students per academic year, and each of these CAES students would be eligible for the $500 assistantship support.
Important Deadlines for the 2019-2020 Academic Year:
Fall Research Funding Applications Due Wednesday, 28 August 2019
The application process for Fall 2019 is closed.
Spring Research Funding Applications Due Wednesday, 22 January 2020
Materials Need for Application: your name, UGA email address, 81X UGA ID number, major, and any CAES minors declared; your faculty mentor's name, UGA email address, and home department; amount of funds requested and a brief budget description; and your project title and a brief (250 word max) description of your project including the objectives.
Symposium Abstracts Due by 5:00 pm on Tuesday, 17 March 2020
Materials Needed for Application: your name, UGA email address, 81X UGA ID number, and major; your faculty mentor's name, UGA email address, and home department; title of abstract (150 character max) and body of abstract (2,500 character limit)
CAES Undergraduate Research Symposium
The symposium that takes place in the Spring semester is open to any undergraduate CAES student who conducted research (funded or not funded) during the 2019-2020 school year. A call for abstracts will be issued in the spring.
- Students will conduct research under the direction of a CAES faculty mentor.
- Students may choose to present their research findings in the poster or oral categories.
- The top three students in each of the poster presentation sections and the top two students in each of the oral presentation sections will receive awards. Last year, there were two poster sections and three oral sections.
Awards will be presented at the CAES Student Leadership and Awards Banquet held in the Spring semester. Awards will be given in each of the oral and poster sections as follows:
- First Place: $600
- Second Place: $500
- Third Place (in poster sections only): $400
Details on Judging and Presentation
Students can identify their preference for giving either an oral presentation or presenting a poster. Every effort will be made to accommodate your selection and to schedule your oral or poster presentation when you are not in class. You will be notified of your presentation time once the deadline for abstract submissions has passed.
Both types of presentations should be 10 minutes and will be followed by approximately three minutes of questions.
- Review the guidelines for size and layout here.
- The easels will be available in the Conner Hall Lobby by 8:30 a.m. on April 1 for you to mount your poster. All posters must be in place by 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday, April 1.
- Please be in place, next to your poster and ready to visit with the judges no later than 3 minutes prior to your presentation time.
- All posters must remain in place until 4 p.m. Please come by Conner Hall or send a friend to pick up your poster between 4:45 p.m.-5:30 p.m.
- Click here to review the grading rubric.
- Presentations are accepted in PowerPoint ONLY.
- Please practice your presentation and time yourself so that you are within the allocated 10 minute time frame. Points will be subtracted if you are over or under time. Your presentation will be followed by approximately three minutes of questions.
- Send your presentation to Whit Carpenter at email@example.com
- Arrive at the room scheduled for your presentation no later than 3 minutes prior to your presentation time. You may leave at the conclusion of your presentation.
- Click here to review the grading rubric.