FABricate Entrepreneurial Initiative
Think BIG! You could win $10,000 in the FABricate contest.
FABricate is an entrepreneurial pitch contest where students develop their idea for a new food product, new agricultural technology, new food or agricultural-related business or new environmental or sustainable business.
Expand your leadership and business skills through this competition where you’ll develop an idea for a new food product, agricultural business or environmental opportunity.
Who can compete?
FABricate is hosted by CAES but is open to UGA students from all backgrounds and colleges within the university.
- Individuals or teams of up to five UGA students can compete.
- Teams can include both undergraduate and graduate-level students.
- Teams who have raised over $50,000 in startup funds or revenue will not be accepted.
- If a member of the startup team has graduated they must have graduated within the past 3 semesters.
How to participate
- Develop or enhance your idea through Idea Accelerator, Entrepreneurship Certificate, Student Industry Fellows Program and/or UGA I-Corps. Click here for a complete list of UGA Entrepreneurship Initiatives.
- Submit a business plan outline by January 24, 2022 to receive a mentor or February 14, 2022 if you choose to work without a mentor.
- For students who choose to work with a mentor, we will connect you with people and resources who will help you develop your plan as soon as we receive your proposal - the sooner you submit your proposal, the sooner we can help connect you!
- Preliminary Pitch Contest will be conducted on March 17, 2022.
- Finalists will be invited back to pitch their idea to a group of judges on March 28, 2022. The winner will receive $10,000 to spend as they please.
What are the categories?
- New Food Product: any new, original food product. Products should have a high potential for being marketed and sold on a commercial basis. For this category, the actual item does not have to be developed, but teams are encouraged to develop a prototype or proof of concept, if possible, depending on the nature of the project.
- Agricultural Technology: any type of new product or service that would be used in a business related to agriculture. For this category, the actual item does not have to be developed but teams are encouraged to develop a prototype or proof of concept, if possible, depending on the nature of the project. Proposed products or services should have the potential for being manufactured and sold on a commercial basis.
- Agricultural or Food-related Business: ideas for new businesses that involve food or agriculture. The proposal should include ideas for businesses that do not currently exist, that are creative and enterprising. Business in this category will likely be experience or service related.
- Environmental or Sustainable Business: ideas for new businesses that involve the environment or an enterprise that capitalizes on having minimal negative impacts on the global or local environment. Businesses in this category offer progressive environmental and/or human rights ideas in the form of a service or product.
FABricate is hosted by CAES in partnership with the UGA Entrepreneurship program.
What do our past participants have to say about FABricate?
Hear from former students about how the contest made a difference in their businesses and lives through the video below.